OMG, light and fluffy, and topped with a crunchy cinnamon sugar layer !! This simple cinnamon sugar apple cake is my husbands’s all time favorite cake !!
YOU’LL NEED :
– Plain flour: 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups)
– Baking powder: 2 teaspoons
– Baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
– Caster sugar: 150 grams (3/4 cup)
– Red apple1 cup (approximately 1 large, peeled and roughly chopped)
– Egg: 2 (large)
– Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
– Vegetable oil: 120 ml (1/2 cup)
– Greek yogurt: 120 ml (1/2 cup)
– Caster sugar: 50 grams (1/4 cup)
– Ground cinnamon: 1 teaspoon
– Unsalted butter: 1 tablespoon (melted)
– Icing or powdered sugar: 30 grams (1/4 cup)
– Milk: 1–2 tablespoons
LET’S MAKE IT :
1. To start with, set the temperature of your oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. And please grease and line an 8 or 9 inch round cake tin with baking or parchment paper.
2. Pick a large mixing bowl and add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. You’ll want to add chopped apple and stir briefly to combine.
3. Then add eggs, vanilla, oil and yoghurt in a separate bowl, whisking briefly just to break up the egg yolks.
4. You can then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. And please mix gently with a wooden spoon until combined, being careful not to over mix. Immediately spoon batter into prepared tin.
5. For the cinnamon topping, you should combine together cinnamon, sugar and butter and mix until lumpy and wet, then sprinkle over cake batter.
6. Once done, bake cake until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. You can then transfer cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. For the glaze, mix together sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk, stirring until smooth. Make sure to add an extra tablespoon of milk if the glaze is too thick. To finish, drizzle glaze all over the cake.